As the newest owner-operators for this special piece of Baileys Harbor history, Kristen Peil and Caleb Whitney wish to recognize all those who came before them!
Baileys Harbor Schoolhouse Construction in 1917
After the fire of 1916, construction on the new District #1 building began in 1917 with the first classes held in the winter of 1918.
An undated picture prior to the 1950’s as the left side second story windows are still in place.
Former student Ron Stieglitz standing in front in 1952.
Originally built to hold eight grades, the building hosted only four on its last day as a school in 1983.
Returned to the Town of Baileys Harbor, the building was used as a town office and library until the early 1990’s.
Starting out as renters in 1987 and then owners in 1994, Annie and Loren Peil utilized the building as a multi-faceted retail operation.
Following extensive renovation and up-grading, the repurposed schoolhouse was converted to seven suites by 2003.
Without Annie and Loren’s vision, skills, and sheer force of wills, this piece of living history would be gone.
Learn more about the Baileys Harbor Schoolhouse Inn. Caleb & Kristen wrote the book about its history and may be ordered online here:
- Baileys Harbor District #1 Schoolhouse Door County Wisconsin | Kristen Peil, Caleb Whitney | History
- Over 150 years of history – why it was built and what it is today!, The schoolhouse is located in Baileys Harbor Door County Wisconsin. Built in 1917 to house 1st through 8th grades, this piece of living history is now operated as a 7-suite inn.